Saturday, February 26, 2011

The spring of courage


A few things have been swirling around my mind lately, that is in the past few years. I have been trying to find new landmarks in this technology-assisted, culturally brain washed society, and I decided I should start doing something. Something that matters, something that helps others return to the state of being human, caring about another, as opposed to the state we usually tend to be in - egocentric simians on a perpetual search for satisfaction...
And I did, I did something, and I still am doing a bunch of things. But, how come I feel so silly with my puny goals and ideals, when I see people facing death - in present and past times - all for freedom, for peace, for us, the others, who remain sheltered...
Well, instead of talking about abstract phenomena, I will tell you what happened...
The first thing that impressed me this week, was a conversation I had over the phone with a 80-year-old man. I was calling him for work, more specifically to invite him to present a very particular cellar to a bunch of kids. The cellar I mentionned was the place he was tortured in, by the Gestapo - you guessed it - during World War II, and this could have been a quite difficult task, given the emotional side of the presentation. To my surprise, the man was actually extremely serene about it, and confirmed his presence, lest he should die until may (that's when the event is supposed to take place)... He then got to talking to me, about the things he experienced, about the fact that he has been living with his wounds and traumatisms for over 65 years, about the fact he is now facing several types of cancer, and above all, that he is very SERENE about it... My one question is: How?
The second thing that touches me, probably because of very early memories of mine (aka december 89), is of course, the revolution in the arab world. What is happening in Lybia - seems to me - by far the most violent outburst and response from all the series of arab revolutions. The face of Kadhafi is haunting me, scares me and I feel I'm not looking at a human being. It's like all dictators and murderers have this kind of dark aura around them that makes them fascinating and scarry as hell at the same time.
But back to the Lybian people - my question, is again: How? I might not know all the details of the story, nor the consequences and effects that the revolution is bound to trigger, but I would like to understand what pushes humans into going out there, where others die, and be a part of it - when hiding in shelter could be so easy.

No comments: